Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Overcoming intimidation ...

Today, I continued painting the WBOW radio station building that was exquisitely 3D printed by railroad friend and fellow modeler Carl Schoenenberg. I have shared with some of you that painting has been quite intimidating to me ... maybe aging eyesight and unsteady hand have something to do with it. 

Radio station with roof yet to be attached.

But I remember something fellow modeler and good friend Dave Abeles said several years ago when he was in the embryonic stages of building his outstanding Onondaga Cutoff model railroad, and I paraphrase, "there comes a time when you just say 'today, I'm going to do it regardless of outcome'", and today was the day for me.

I painted the red brick several months ago, but have been putting off every since the detail work ... porch, steps, etc. It took a lot longer to mask it off than the applying the little bit of paint. We'll see tomorrow when the tape comes off.

Followers of this blog will remember this is the radio station in Terre Haute, Indiana, at which I got my first DJ job in 1960. Roommate and friend ever since, John Jerman, found a "fuzzy" black and white photo, and that combined with a 1950 Sanborn Fire Maps plat map were the only guidelines that Carl had to create this nearly perfect likeness of the structure that has been gone for more than 30 years. It will resurface on the Paducah Switching railroad as WPAD-AM, an actual Paducah station, also discovered by John Jerman.

No comments:

Post a Comment