Thursday, October 28, 2021

Starting to take shape

 Ground cover and ballasting continues. We - Rick Pfarr and I - have now  have completed about 75% of the basic ground cover and track ballast. 

As I said before, its a several step process, starting with the first layer of grey ballast, followed by real dirt, grass material, and clump foliage to create bushes, etc. Only a small portion has had all four layers ... plus ballast ... applied. I hesitate to say completed, because I'm not sure scenery on model railroads is ever complete.

This area, at one end of the railroad, has had all four layers plus ballast applied. The building is a wholesale produce warehouse; it was originally on the late Bob Buschart's model railroad. Checking the interior of structure, I learned it was built in 1999 by Dave Roeder MMR. Dave is a prolific modeler and local, regional, and national contest winner, who is a long time member of our Thursday night group the Gandy Dancers.

I'm at the point where I need to start placing buildings, so as to work the scenery around them. That leads me to the point where I need to start building the buildings. Its starting the be really fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment