Monday, February 24, 2020

Track is weathered, ready to put down

As promised in the previous post, I'm reporting on weathering the track with the Micro Engineering Company's Rail Weathering Solution. In a sentence, it went better than I feared it might, not quite as well as I hoped. It is what it is. My biggest issue is that all the track did not weather evenly, and may require some touch up after it's in place.

This is the rail before weathering
After weathering; I wish it all looked like this
The process was fairly simple. Directions on the solution bottle recommend a 2:1 (water to solution) mixture, and I followed directions. People who have used it suggest anywhere from the 3-5 minutes and even more; they caution to watch it closely. I did. I left the track "cooking" for 7-8 minutes to get where I thought I wanted it.

Track ready to be placed in the solution
Following the time in the solution, the track has to be rinsed in plain water to stop the chemical process. Then it has to dry before being laid. All told, the time for the process from start to finish (getting the containers ready, getting plain water, mixing the solution, etc.) for about 25 pieces of 3-foot flex track (divided into three separate "soakings") and 22 turnouts (split into two soakings), was a couple of hours. Still shooting to have track down and wired by the end of our group meeting Thursday night. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment